I don’t have many breakfast foods on this blog. Maybe I’m too hungry in the morning to save my food for photographs. Maybe I hesitate to post too many sugary breakfasts, lest you get the impression that dessert is all I eat. It’s not true, I swear! Pancakes are actually a rarity in my household. For me, breakfast is usually whatever meat and vegetables I can throw in a frying pan. And possibly an egg or two. Hardly recipe-worthy.
This sweet potato and chorizo skillet, however, really does deserve a spot in the breakfast section. Chorizo and sweet potatoes are a match made in heaven as far as I’m concerned. And with some extra goodies like garlic, chard and mushrooms, this skillet o’ delicious might become your favorite new breakfast, too.
Sweet potato hash makes a great post-workout meal. The starchy carbs and protein are ideal for muscle recovery and glycogen replenishment. There’s no other sugar, so no need to worry about that one. You can also add an egg if you need more protein. I recommend adding chanterelle or other fancy mushrooms.
To change it up, you could add different vegetables like spinach or kale instead of chard, or throw in some bell peppers. Your choice!
Sweet Potato & Chorizo Skillet
- 1 Tbsp. bacon fat
- 1 lb. chorizo
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 oz. mushrooms
- 4 oz. chard
- Heat bacon fat in a cast iron skillet (or other large skillet).
- Add chorizo and diced onion. Cook until chorizo is almost done and onion is translucent.
- While the chorizo and onion cook, shred the sweet potato in a food processor using the grating attachment.
- Add shredded sweet potato and chopped mushrooms to the skillet.
- Add crushed garlic, salt and oregano, then cover and cook 5 minutes or until sweet potato has softened.
- Add chopped chard, cover again, and cook another 3-5 minutes or until chard is soft.
- Combine all with a metal spatula, remove skillet from heat, and serve.